Tuesday 28 June 2011

Memories

Despite having crossed the galaxy to a new planet, there happily still remain beings from the Southernmost Colony that have remained stuck in my heart and that will stay there until I am but a speck of dust in a distant place.

As a child how could I ever have imagined that when I joined hands with another trembling six year old to lead a procession of 'Silent Night' singing school children down a long passage and into the school hall for the carol service, that I was embarking on a friendship that would survive for the rest of my life? And yet now that we are both slightly saggier and hopefully a lot wiser, we can pick up our friendship as if we are still two little blondes with scraped knees performing concerts for her long suffering mother in the back garden. And with the delights of cross galaxy travel, and was it easier to afford space craft fees and the new Interplanetary Access Visa for those from the Southernmost Colony, we would surely spend a lot more time together visiting castles and sipping tea.

And then something else from the mists of my past that warms the cockles of my heart, is when one of the little undeveloped beings that was in my care when I was a lowly pedagogue, contacts me via the Visage Book and tells me that he was not traumatised by songs about dirty socks and flatulent duchesses and that I did not leave him irreparably scarred when I dressed him up as an Indian brave or cannibal or pirate or even crawling crustacean, as I sometimes feared. And to my delight, a number of these undeveloped beings, now fully developed with spouses and undeveloped beings of their own, have contacted me, and though in my head they are still only 6 or 7 years old, it is a special treasure to know that I am remembered fondly...although there are surely some out there, you know who you are, that do not remember me fondly at all.

So many memories to comfort and entertain me on this planet I now call home....although I must confess to still having moments when I feel particularly alien, like when someone remarks on my accent, although in the dentist's chair or doctor's office it is a great conversation starter. Perhaps the accent has softened with time as have I, but the memories remain sharp and clear in my mind and I eagerly await more contact from the Southernmost Colony and life 'back in the day'.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written... and so nice your 'pupils' contact you positively!

    ReplyDelete